Friday, August 9, 2013

Acne Solutions

I have had oily, acne-prone skin for a long time now. Basically, it sucks. It has been hard to tame, but I want to share some ways that I have been able to improve my complexion and keep the acne and oil at bay.

I started getting acne when I was in 4th grade. As I got older, it only got worse. I felt like I tried every acne medication, ointment, etc. on the market. I had an allergic reaction to benzyl peroxide, so that eliminated a lot of my options as well. I tried Clinique Acne Solutions line at some point a few years ago and didn't think it worked for me. However, after some convincing from my Clinique consultants, I tried it again. 

This time was different. My skin did get worse at first. I don't think some people realize that, and I don't think I realized it back when I had tried it before. Your skin has to expel all the bad gunk in it, which can cause, AT FIRST, more breakouts, irritation, and so on. Once that stage had passed for me, my skin started to look a lot better. I went from having several major breakouts to having one or two.

I still use the Acne Solutions line minus the Acne moisturizer because it has benzyl peroxide in it. I substitute it for Clinique's Dramatically Different Gel Moisturizer. My acne has definitely subsided thanks to this line. I still get breakouts, but they are not usually too bad. With stress and hormones, I would never fool myself into thinking that I will ever have perfect skin, but I know my skin is a lot better now than it was before.

clinique.com

Clinique is somewhat more expensive than drugstore acne lines, but it is also cheaper than things like Proactiv, which I definitely do not recommend. It is a three step system - cleanser, clarifying lotion, and moisturizer. Each item in the acne line is around the $15 mark. If you have tried tons of different products like me, you probably won't mind spending a little money on this. If you don't want to commit to the whole thing, at least try the clarifying lotion.

A great thing about Clinique is that they have a 100% guarantee. If any of their products just don't work for you, they can be returned. Just remember to give anything you buy at least a couple weeks to see if you like it.

As I said, I can't use products with benzyl peroxide, so that makes Cliniques Acne Solutions Moisturizer off limits. I am currently using the Clinique Dramatically Different Gel Moisturizer instead. This moisturizer is oil-free and it supposed to help maintain the moisture balance in oily skin. It is meant to be used in conjunction with another moisturizer. I have a few different ones I use.


I'm not necessarily in love with this product, but I don't hate it either. I don't feel like my skin is a lot less oily when I use this product. However, it is a decent, oil-free moisturizer. I probably won't run out and buy this right away when I finish the bottle though. A bottle of this moisturizer is $26.

SIDE NOTE: Sometimes I feel like almost all of my posts are just about a bunch of products that I rave about. I just want to be clear that I don't think everybody needs to go out and buy everything I talk about. I just like sharing with people what I have tried that works for me and things I really like or even don't like. You can do what you wish with the information I give you: END SIDE NOTE

When it comes to acne, one of the best things you can do is just take care of your skin. Wash your face every day and night. I know it's hard to wash your face at 2:00 am when you can barely keep your eyes open, but I promise it's worth it. At least get the makeup off your face and out of your pores.


Also, drink as much water as you can. Your skin needs hydration in order to work properly. Your skin can help you if you don't help your skin.


Finally, I really believe that eating habits are related to what your skin looks like. I know there have been tons of studies on this and some people say some food can cause acne and some people say it can't. All I know is that when I eat a ton of junk food, I notice that I get more acne. When I eat healthier, my skin is clearer.


I know this post if kind of wordy and long, but I hope it helped. Let me know in the comments below if you have any questions for me or feedback. Have a great weekend!

                                                                                                                                              Photos from Clinique.com, Howstuffworks.com, Growyourfamilystrong.com, and Foodnetwork.com



No comments:

Post a Comment