Monday, July 22, 2013

NYX Cosmetics

Back in April I did a review of Clinique cosmetics. I talked about the products I had used from the brand, what I thought about them, etc. This time I am going to discuss a drugstore brand, NYX cosmetics.

I have been using NYX for a few years and find more and more products from the line each year that I like. This brand is super affordable and does not skimp on quality with most of their products. The best time to buy these is when Ulta occasionally has 40% off on NYX or buy one, get one free. NYX isn't sold at any of the drugstores near me, but I know that they are sold in various drugstores in the U.S.

EYES:
Glitter Mania Glitters - I won't talk too much about these because NYX doesn't carry them anymore. I wish they still had them because I think they are really nice glitters. I have them in white, blue, and purple and they are bright and stay on well. When I put other glitters on my eyes sometimes, they tend to crease a lot. These don't do that. I'm sure there are other comparable glitters out there that I will try when I use these up.
Slim Eye Pencils - I have these eye pencils in the shades Black, White Pearl, Electric Blue, Purple, Acid Green, and Emerald City. These aren't my favorite eyeliners in my collection for a couple reasons. I don't feel like they are as pigmented as they should be when I use them. They also do not wear well on me and are usually faded after a few hours. My eyelids are extremely oily, so that may or may not have something to do with it. I guess I have so many because they are a really good price and I can pair them with other eyeliners I have. These are $3.50.
Jumbo Eye Pencils - I have these pencils in the shades Milk, Black Bean, and Pacific. I started using these jumbo pencils after I saw XSparkage using them in her tutorials a lot. It was love at first use. Milk Jumbo Eye Pencil is something everyone should have. It is a perfect base and makes any color placed on top of it pop and look much more vibrant. It surprisingly doesn't crease on my oily lids, but I do use a primer underneath the pencil. NYX has tons of different shades in these to create all different kinds of looks. They can be worn alone or as a base for other shadows. They are $4.50.
Studio Liquid Liners - I have these liners in shades Extreme Black, Extreme Coffee, Extreme Plum Purple, Extreme Purple, Extreme Blue, and Extreme Sapphire. On the bottles, the labels say, "Dramatic Color Payoff". That is totally true. These liners are awesome. They are vivid, don't rub off, and have a small brush in the lid that is pretty easy to use. The blue and purple are my favorites because I love bright colors. At such a great price, it is worth it to own at least two. They are $4.50.


Liquid Crystal Liners - I have these in the shades in Crystal Gun Metal, Crystal Pewter, and Crystal Jade. These liners are as equally freakin' awesome as the Studio Liners. They are very glittery and stay on just as well as the other liners. You can wear them on top of the Studio Liners to make them stand out really well, but they stand out on their own too. I love putting one of these on with a more nude eye look to spice it up. These are also $4.50.







LIPS:
Sheer Gloss - NYX doesn't have these Lip Glosses anymore, but I have them in shades Shangri-La, Rose, and Sweet Dreams if that means anything to anyone. They are decent glosses, but don't wear that well. I will have to try some of their newer glosses at some point, but I just have so many other glosses right now that I need to get through.



Soft Matte Lip Creams - I have these in shades Abu Dhabi ( rose-beige), Istanbul (a soft pink), and Amsterdam (a bright red). Here is a description of these creams from the NYX website: "Neither lipstick nor lip gloss, the matte lip cream is a new kind of lip color that goes on silky smooth and sets to a matte finish. Soft Matte Lip Cream is surprisingly durable and, unlike some matte lipstick formulas, also moisturizing." I think this is a pretty accurate portrayal of these babies. However, I do think they are kind of drying after a while, so I use a lip gloss with them. Amterdam also fades after a couple hours, so I like to wear it over a red lipstick. Istanbul is my favorite out of the three I have. I probably wouldn't buy more of these just because I like some of the other NYX lip products a lot better and, at $6.00, they are pricier than most of their other lip colors.

Diamond Sparkle Lispticks - Ahhh! Okay, so NYX doesn't carry these lipsticks anymore either! Sorry that three of three of the products I have to talk about are ones you can't even go out and buy. I didn't realize that until I started writing this post. Well, I have these in Sparkling Gold (a gold-toned nude), Sparkling Amber (a gold-toned pink), and Sparkling Orchid (a purple-pink). They are nicely pigmented, extremely sparkly, and I don't reach for them as often as I do their other lipsticks.
Jumbo Lip Pencils - I have one Jumbo Lip Pencil in Ice (an iridescent, light brown). I don't wear this color as mush as I should. It is a great brown-toned shade, and I have a hard time finding something like this that looks good on me. The wear on these is average, but I sometimes wear this with other lipsticks to help make it wear longer.




Round Lipsticks - I have these in the shades Mars (beige), Louisiana (bright strawberry pink), Spell Bound (Magenta), and Femme (orange-red) I counted on their website and this lipstick comes in 108 different shades. There is almost no way you couldn't find a shade you like. The hardest part is deciding which one or ones to get. These are pretty moisturizer, very vibrant, and last for a few hours before having to reapply. Use a lip liner to make these last longer. At $4.00, they are totally worth trying.


Retractable Lip Liners - I own one of these in Nude Pink and it looks slightly brighter than what I would imagine a nude pink lip liner to look like. This is a great lip liner that I can wear with a lot of different colors. I usually fill my entire lips in with this lip liner before applying lipstick. My lip color stays on for most of the day without having to reapply when I use this liner. They are available for $4.50.








FACE:
HD Photogenic Concealers - I have this in the yellow shade and it's supposed to help reduce the appearance of under-eye darkness. This concealer works really well. It brightens my eye area and hides the dark circles that I generally have. It goes on really smooth and the applicator wand helps control how much I put in without over-doing it. This concealer comes in different shades and colors to correct various problems and costs $4.50.



HD Studio Photogenic Grinding Blushes - I have this blush in the shade Sangria in Madrid. I really liked the idea of this blush, but I just don't really like it. It is slighty messy if you don't open it carefully and the shade I have looks clownish on me no matter how little I use. Maybe some of you would like these though. They are $15.




Powder Blushes - Okay so I have not personally tried these NYX blushes, but I have heard a lot of good things about them. I also know that they have a lot of good dupes for MAC blushes. These will be something I will pick up in the near future. They are $5.

Sometime today or tomorrow I will have another post with swatches of this stuff. I won't include the items that NYX doesn't sell anymore.

If you haven't already, sign up to receive an e-mail when I post new things by entering your e-mail in the sidebar. While you're looking at the sidebar, check out the website BlogLovin'. You can follow all your favorite blogs in one place and keep them organized. That link will take you right to the page where you can follow mine. 

2 comments: